Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Are we there yet??



Thank you for your prayers and e'mails. Erik and I arrived in La Paz, Monday morning. As soon as we stepped off the plane Zion and Erik were sick. They've both been in bed the past two days... We decided we better head on to Sucre so they can fight whatever this is at a lower altitude than 13,000 feet. So we are catching a bus to Sucre tonight and should arrive in the morning around 7 am. The rest of the team are either preparing to leave and some are on their way. Continue to pray for us during this big transition. We are so thankful to be in Bolivia. It was about time I think. Last night I was walking to the farmacy with Zion strapped on my side. The streets were crowded with people on the sidewalks, hurrying home from work or from school. You don't know crowded streets till you walk in La Paz in after work hours. Vendors are lined up along the side of the road and mini-buses crowd the streets taking people here and there. I noticed a lady sitting by her sales stand. She was dressed very simply, with braids and a top hat. I could tell that she was straining to read the Bible in the dim lights of the city, and although the crowds streamed by her sales stand without stopping to buy.. I knew she was content. I stopped to greet her and ask how her day had been. She said that it had been another good day, and that she was blessed among many to have hope. She told me that she was reading Acts and that she always reads when she sits by her sales stand. We talked for a while and she was a perfect example of someone who had made hope the anchor of her soul. Her name was Prima (which means Cousin in English.) Prima reminded me why it was that we had decided to come to Bolivia. I rememeber seeing a woman just like her on the streets of Sucre two years ago, also reading her Bible and hanging on to hope.

2 comments:

laura said...

Jenny, we're so glad that you guys made it safely! We're praying for your two boys :) that they are feeling better soon! Can't wait to see you guys here in Cbba soon! God bless!

Britni Johnson said...

Jenny!
Hey, this is Britni from Clovis...I don't know if you remember me or not, but I sent you an email so please don't delete it thinking it's junk mail! It looks like God is still using you in amazing ways, and I am so grateful for that. My email is bjohnson7070@lcu.edu so get back to me when you get a chance, please!
Yours in Christ,
Britni Johnson